Does teeth whitening work?
Author: Jasmine Cottan Date Posted:22 June 2018
Professional and at-home teeth whitening has its fair share of myths and skepticism. Does it work? How long does it take to work? Is it safe to use? Which teeth whitening product is the best and which one should I use? With all the unusual elements and parts that come with teeth whitening, it’s difficult to know where to start.
Luckily, we’ve broken down the nitty gritty bits, highlighted the most important aspects of teeth whitening and what you need to know, including how they work and what results to expect. It’s important to note that before thinking of using any teeth whitening system, it’s best to seek out a professional for guidance. We are qualified beauty specialists and lovers of makeup, not dentists!
What are the best whitening treatments?
When it comes to teeth whitening products, whether they be whitening pens, trays, toothpaste or activated teeth whitening charcoal, the best products will always have:
- Clearly labelled ingredients on the packaging
- Contain either hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide: Compared to toothpaste ingredients which only target surface stains, the ingredients within teeth whitening products actively remove stains deep within the teeth
- Safe levels of either peroxid: Usually, safe levels of hydrogen peroxide border around 10% while carbamide peroxide stands at 35%. Anything stronger can cause gum irritation and erode the tooth enamel
- Should be comfortable and easy to use, so you’re less likely to skip treatments. Choosing a teeth whitening method usually comes down to personal preference.
How does the teeth whitening process work?
- The bleaching gel actively opens the pores of the teeth enamel
- The gel seeps through the enamel and into the dentin of the tooth
- The oxygen molecules within the gel formula comes into contact with the tooth, latches onto any discoloration and pulls it away from the tooth
Typically, the number of applications varies depending on the severity of the teeth stains and the concentration of peroxide you use. The lesser amount of peroxide within a teeth whitening product, the more treatment sessions you will need.
Age, dietary habits, health and oral hygiene are generally good indicators on the number of treatments you’ll need. The table below gives a good indication of what to expect.
What should I expect?
The brilliance of your results depends on the natural colour of your teeth, or ‘dentin’, which resides underneath the tooth enamel (that hard, protective coating of the tooth).
The natural colour varies per person, but usually ranges from off white, pale grey of yellow. Whatever the natural colour of the dentin, translates to how the teeth will appear once the stains have been removed.
Does Cosmetic Capital stock teeth whitening systems?
Yes, we do! You can see our full Teeth Whitening range here.
We've also put some our favourites below!
A powerful, effective and easy to use kit for a dazzling smile. With the help of a cold Blue LED accelerator light combined its strong whitening gel, results are visible after 3-5 treatments. Use the remineralising gel between treatments to protect your sensitive gums from irritation.
Lightweight and portable, this teeth whitening pen is perfect for people who wish to achieve a brighter smile on-the-go. Containing 35% Carbamide Peroxide, this gel is perfect for touch ups after a strong cup of coffee.
If professional teeth whitening systems aren’t your thing, this toothpaste should do the trick. With its advanced whitening formula, micro cleansing crystals and tatar control, this toothpaste will result in whiter teeth in 14 days. Freshens breath, removes plaque and cavities.
Unfortunately most teeth whitening products and toothpastes can’t guarantee a pristine snow white smile, only a pearly stain free one.
Remember, your teeth are part of your skeletal structure and bone isn’t meant to be white. But, this shouldn’t stop you from feeling dazzling anyway!