The best ways to treat red skin
Author: Jasmine Cottan Date Posted:30 April 2019
Ahh, the daily struggles of sensitive, reddened skin, uneven skin and acne. Blotchiness and angry-looking spots can do a number on our confidence. Even when you think you've finally gotten rid of those unsightly flushes for the night, only to find it again full-force in the morning.
You've tried every face scrub known to man, night cream and your foundation is doing nothing to hide the red splotches. It doesn’t matter if you suffer from rosacea, eczema, active oily skin or even a bad case of sunburn, your red-toned skin remains stubborn as ever.
Like your sisters with dry, itchy skin and flaky skin, gals prone to ruddiness need to adhere to an exclusive skincare regimen and strict beauty routine to keep the blotches and sudden flushes at bay.
Easy tips for concealing and managing red-toned skin
- Use green-toned makeup: As red's complementary colour, the cool-tones within green can successfully neutralise the vivid notes within red tones and smooth the complexion.
- Stay clear from oil-based makeup products.
- Reduce your time in the sun… and the tanning bed! (Self-tan instead!)
- Find foundation products with SPF.
- Steer away from cosmetics with harmful synthetics. Try products that are Paraben Free.
- Use a selective range of skincare products: The more makeup and skincare products you use on your complexion, the more irritated and flared it will become.
- Less scrubbing the face! You’re stripping away the essential oils from your skin cells and only aggravating the skin surface further.
- Apply naturally calming topical ingredients like aloe vera, green tea, cucumber, peppermint, chamomile or rosehip.
- Turn to gentle skin exfoliation, perhaps a soft foaming cleanser or a scrub that uses finer particles.
- Use skin clarifying cleansers or toners day and night
Here's our list of high-performing products catered to redness and acne prone skin.
This calming face mask calms the appearance of redness, irritation and nasty breakouts using a mix of delicate green and gold colour correcting pigments, along with refreshing peppermint to cool even the angriest flare-ups. Soothing additional coconut extract relieves blemishes and hydrates the skin.
The easy-to-use sheet mask boasts anti-inflammatory and antioxidising Green Tea extracts to control visible shine, reduce redness, tightens enlarged pores and to soothe acne prone blemishes. This mask is cruelty-free.
This dual-ended concealer includes a softened green and yellow toned cream pigment designed to hide and balance under-eye circles and bluish discolourations, and correcting red blemishes and scars. This concealer is hypoallergenic, dermatologist tested and non-comedogenic.
Lightweight and soft on the skin, this primer smooths the skin’s texture by filling in fine lines and pores to create an ideal surface for your foundation while blurring away visible skin imperfections. This primer features light diffusing particles, skin-nourishing vitamin E and B3 and a green-toned pigment to balance out ruddiness, acne scars and other red tones.